In cleaning out my pantry this week, I was drawn to my large jar of 12 grain cereal that so rarely gets used thanks to busy mornings with my boys. With a bit of extra energy one evening, and creativity at it’s peak I knew it was time to crack open that jar. This super soft and creamy 12 grain oatmeal is the result of that late night creative surge. When I woke up in the morning I was delighted by how the flavours of banana, coconut and nutmeg came together… I think you could serve this for dessert it’s so delicious. I enjoyed it this morning straight up with a handful of pecans.
- 1 banana, ripe with brown spots, mashed
- I can coconut milk (300 ml)
- 1 1/2 cups milk of your choice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- seeds from 1 vanilla bean (or 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/2 cup 12 grain cereal
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- nuts – pecans are my morning go to
- mixed berries
- sliced banana
- seeds – hemp, chia, flax meal
- toasted coconut (my oh my how I love coconut)
- Mix all ingredients in a large jar or sealed container.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, lightly simmer cereal over medium-low heat until slightly thickened. About 2-3 minutes.
- Enjoy your first bowl warm from the pot. Top with your favourite nuts, seeds or fruit.
- Store cereal in the fridge for 4-6 days. Enjoy it either cold or warmed slightly.