Lightly sweetened with apple sauce and maple syrup this granola allows the goodness of whole oats to shine. Dark chocolate chunks and cranberries give bursts of intense flavour and the crunch of the oven roasted almonds will leave you satisfied until lunchtime. This batch is big enough that you can keep half on your counter to enjoy right away and put half away in the freezer for later.
- 4 1/2 cups large flake rolled oats
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup dates, chopped
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp canilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 100 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl mix together oats, almonds, dates, sunflower seeds, and sesame seeds.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat applesauce, maple syrup and coconut oil just until oil is melted. Stir in vanilla and salt.
- Pour applesauce mixture over dry ingredients and mix throughly.
- Spread granola onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake in oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove pan from the oven and stir granola. Reduce oven temperature to 300 F and continue baking 10 more minutes.
- Remove the granola and stir once more. Bake for another 10 minutes or until granola is golden brown. Sometimes I will leave the pan in the oven with the heat turned off and the door open if it’s not quite browned after the final 10 minutes.
- Allow granola to cool completely and then stir in cranberries and chocolate.
- Store granola in an airtight container at room temperature or freeze for up to 1 month.