This spread is lightly flavoured with garlic, lemon and oregano. For those of you looking for a vegan cream cheese substitute this is it. The spread comes together with minimal prep time however you do need a bit of time to allow it to marinade and for draining some of the excess water from the cheese. I quite enjoyed this spread on some whole grain rye crackers topped with roasted red peppers, avocado, basil and some fresh chèvre. Along with a side of kalamata olives I was day dreaming of an afternoon in the Mediterranean.
- 1 cup soft/silken tofu, drained
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup kefir (use a plant based milk kefir if desired)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp vinegar (I used an ume plum vinegar but you could also use white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar)
- In a small bowl, using a fork mash the tofu with 2 tbsp lemon juice, garlic, oregano, bouillon powder and salt. Set aside in the fridge to marinate for 1-2 hours
- In a separate small bowl mix kefir with 2 tsp lemon juice and vinegar. Set aside at room temperature while the tofu marinates.
- Place the tofu mixture and kefir in a small food processor or use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- Line a small sieve with several layers of cheese cloth. Pour the mixture into the sieve and allow to drain for 1 hour. Alternately you could use a nut milk bag or gather the cheese cloth to twist shut around the cheese mixture and use your hands to squeeze out liquid. The longer you allow your cheese to drain the thicker it will become.
- Using a spatula, remove the cheese from the cheese cloth and place in a resealable container.
- You can serve the cheese right away or allow it to marinate longer. I couldn’t wait to eat it and it was delicious right away.